Why Choose Essentials Medi-Spa for Laser Hair Removal?
Essentials Medi-Spa, under the supervision of Dr. Trevor Brooks, is a clinical setting offering state of the art treatments and a team that is committed to excellence in all types of cosmetic treatments including laser hair removal. When you are welcomed into our clinic, you’ll feel confident because:
- Dalyce, our certified laser technician, and the rest of the team practices in a comfortable, clean and private facility to ensure your needs are always taken care of.
- Checkout for your procedure conveniently in the treatment room, so no-one discovers the true reason you were visiting us. Brazillian? Botox? Your privacy is important, just mention you’d like the in-room checkout, celebrity style.
- Each staff member does what they were specifically trained to do. You won’t find nurses running the lasers because you don’t learn about lasers in your nursing degree. Likewise, our Aestheticians are not trained to offer advice on injectables like Botox/Fillers. We stick to what each of us does best.
- Most of our new patients/clients come to us directly from referrals, which demonstrates the trust and level of service we provide to our existing patients/clients.
- Dr. Brooks is a Canadian board certified plastic surgeon, and is a member of the Alberta Society of Plastic Surgeons. He follows the guidelines of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. He has selected lasers that are safe and effective, and you won’t find him doing Botox or Fillers outside of his medical clinic or the hospital.
- We offer a wide variety of cosmetic procedures beyond laser hair removal, like dermal fillers, acne treatments, mole removal, laser spider vein removal, laser tattoo removal and more.
Am I a Good Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
During your initial consultation appointment, we’ll ask you to circle yes or no to a series of questions about your medical history. A spot test is recommended to ensure that you will not have an adverse reaction. Finally, you may be a good candidate for laser hair removal with the Gentle Max Pro laser if:
- You have very light skin and very dark hair. While these patients are ideal candidates for laser hair removal, others will have success as well, but these patients see results very quickly (this is because the laser is attracted to the dark pigment that gives hair its color).
- You have darker skin tones. Laser technology has come a long way in recent years. It is safe for you to have laser hair removal, BUT we will make sure you do not have an active tan or have had recent sun exposure.
- Your hairs are dark. Peach fuzz, vellus hair, does not respond to laser treatment. Try our dermaplaning treatments to address that.
- You are prepared for 4-6 treatment sessions spaced about 4-8 weeks apart (depending on the treated area).
What is my Recovery Like After Laser Hair Removal?
For a couple days immediately after the procedure your skin may feel hot or like it has been sunburned. The redness will come down usually within the first day, but if it is a bit red in the following days, use cool compresses and aloe to help sooth your skin. If your face was treated, you should be able to wear makeup the next day, unless you are experiencing any blistering.
Laser Hair Removal FAQs
How does laser hair removal work?
Essentially, the laser damages the follicle to help inhibit growth. Results can vary, some lasers can remove hair for anywhere from several months to multiple years. The Gentle Max Pro laser is an industry leader, and most people see results within their first few treatments.
Does laser hair removal hurt?
Our patients describe the pain as brief/momentary. It is often referred to as similar to the snap of a rubber band.
Is the procedure permanent?
Laser hair removal is most effective if the hair is caught in the Anagen or “growth” stage, which can be difficult to determine since it grows in indeterminate cycles. Dalyce regularly attends the ACE Aesthetic Clinical Experts Symposium where specialist doctors compare their findings for best practices and when to treat patients for hair removal on different body parts to hit that optimal Anagen hair growth phase.
Will my skin break out after the procedure?
Laser treatment will leave your hair follicles open for several days. A simple antibacterial soap/cream like Polysporin, or an over the counter hydrocortisone cream can help with these temporary blemishes. For other treatments, such as the PicoWay Resolve, our Advanced Scar Gel works nicely to reduce redness and irritation.
What should I do before and after the procedure?
Discontinue using any Retinol products or Alpha Hydroxy Acid products (AHAs) that can make skin photosensitive to laser hair removal. After the procedure be sure to avoid saltwater, chlorine/bromine, hot tubs, and the sun for about a week to prevent irritation, and sunburn (which will age you or cause skin cancer). We’re really pretty serious about sun exposure since Dr. Brooks surgically removes skin cancers as part of his job. He would rather tell everyone about sunscreen use & sun avoidance for prevention rather than see our patients back for skin cancer excisions. Be safe!