What is a Certified Aesthetic Nurse Specialist?
CANS nurses are experts in their field, having shown the knowledge of Aesthetic Injectables/Laser, Light, and Energy-based Therapies/ and Clinical Skin Care with a focus on Assessing & Monitoring the physical & psycho-social needs of the patient , Planning & Administering Aesthetic Treatment(s), and Educating patients to promote optimal outcomes.
In order to even be eligible to write the CANS exam, Kara must have met the qualifications below.
- Have spent at least 1,000 practice hours within the core specialties (plastic surgery/ophthalmology/dermatology or facial plastic surgery) during the last two (2) years. ~ Dr. Trevor Brooks Plastic Surgery
- Have spent a minimum of two (2) years of nursing experience as a registered nurse within the core specialties (plastic surgery/ophthalmology/dermatology or facial plastic surgery) in collaboration or in a practice with a physician that is Board Certified within a core specialty. ~ Dr. Trevor Brooks, Plastic Surgery
- Be working in collaboration or in a practice with a physician that is Board Certified within one of the following specialties: Plastic/Aesthetic Surgery, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, or Facial Plastic Surgery (ENT). ~ Dr. Trevor Brooks, Plastic Surgery
- Have the application completed and endorsed by her supervising core physician, who holds a current full and unrestricted license. ~ Dr. Trevor Brooks, Plastic Surgery
- Be a nurse licensed as a Registered Nurse in the United States, its territories or Canada, holding a current full and unrestricted license.
- Have the knowledge of the following topics within Aesthetic Injectables/Laser, Light, and Energy-based Therapies/ Clinical Skin Care : Assessing & Monitoring the physical & psycho-social needs of the patient , Planning & Administering Treatment(s), Teaching to promote optimal patient outcomes. (the full exam syllabus may be found in detail here).
- Have passed her CANS exam with a mark of 75% or greater at a Plastic Surgical Nursing Education Board sanctioned exam location.
Congrats Kara On Your New Designation: Certified Aesthetic Nurse Specialist
Book your appointment with Kara by calling us at 403-487-0460, use the MindBody App, or the scheduler on the contact us page.
OM Organics is a certified toxin free product line that is made in Invermere, British Columbia. Dr. Brooks decided to bring the OM Organics skin care and body care products to Essentials medi-spa because he loves supporting Canadian companies, and this one happens to be found right in his hometown.
You can read up about all of the products on the OM organics website or follow them on Instagram/Facebook. We’d love to have you stop in and sample any product you are interested in. We have testers in our treatment rooms and at our front desk. Flower Child, Sunset Nectar and Sage + Cypress hand/body wash are found at all of our office sinks. It smells amazing in here! For obvious reasons, the only item that is hard to try before you buy is the bath soak.
The body scrub, body oil and body butter are sure to hydrate your skin in both our dry summers, winters, and every moment in between.
There are travel minis and full sized jars of each body product and mini kits of the skin care lines so you don’t have to break the bank determining if the products are a good fit for your skincare routine. Mini Skin Care Kits are $68.00
If you are a person with very sensitive skin, you may wish to bypass all the products scented with essential oils, and opt for the gentle oil and gentle cream which were formulated for babies.
This is just a brief overview, for more info follow the link, or stop by and ask away!
The entire line is on the OM Organics website: www.omorganicscanada.com
3 steps ~ 30 mins ~ Best Skin of Your Life
After receiving treatments at the Western Canadian Aesthetic Summit in Calgary last May, our staff unanimously voted that we purchase this HydraFacial Elite unit!
If you’d like to learn more, follow #hydrafacialnation on Instagram and watch for the HydraFacial World Tour Bus to make it’s first Canadian stop in Calgary next month during The Greatest Show on Earth. We’re planning to be there to volunteer our time and expand our knowledge by learning from other hydrafacialists.
Something else to keep your eyes open for are the giveaways happening on our Facebook Page during this month (June) and watch for announcements for our Official HydraFacial Launch Party coming up this fall.
Can’t wait to try it out? Check the schedules for Sara, Dalyce and Dena (our HydraFacialists) and we’ll see you soon!
Essentials Medi Spa
Where To Find Us
Unit 2 – 1335 Trans Canada Way SE
Medicine Hat, AB T1B 1J1
Call (403) 487 0461
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fr: 9:00am to 4:00pm
Wed: 9:00am to 4:00pm